Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Some Thoughts On Why Our Economy Is Failing

I'm not going to pretend that I know the exact reason why our economy is failing, but I will offer up some observations. In my opinion, based on what I've read in the news, our economic problems have been conceived by pure and utter greed. Yes, greed. Why do I say that? Well, if you've been paying attention, you'll see that the people who are responsible for this mess are the ones who were trying to swindle as much money out of people as is possible.
  1. Stanford Financial Group
  2. Enron
  3. American International Group
  4. Bernard Madoff
  5. Telecom Businesses, Retailers, and Collection Agencies
Those are just off the top of my head. Capital One is another creditor that tried to swindle someone in particular: me. A few years ago, someone opened a fraudulent credit card account using my name and social security information. I suspect I know who it was, but I have no verifiable proof. The bill was nearly $700 and I was annoyed to receive it. Annoyed, because this was the third time someone had stolen my identity. I did what I was suppose to do. I contacted Capital One's fraud department, and reported it as a fraudulent account. They informed me to file a police report, which I did, and then fax it to them. I heard nothing after a few days, so I called again. I was explicitly told that until a suspect is arrested, tried, and convicted, I am responsible for the payment of the bill. I could not believe this was happening to me. Apparently, this is something that Capital One is notorious for doing. They try to swindle unknowing consumers into believing that this is the standard procedure for cleaning up their credit. Wrong.

I needed to have an attorney send them a letter telling them to mark the account as fraudulent, to stop harassing me, and to clear my credit record of this account, or be subject to litigation. Very quickly thereafter, I received a letter from Capital One stating that it was fraud, my record is clear, and I owe nothing.

As I said, we wonder how our economy is faltering. Perhaps it's due (in part) to people and businesses of power trying to swindle other people out of their money. These are just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment