Thursday, March 5, 2009

Book Review [Updated]

There was a book cover photo here, but I believe the publishing website pulled it.
I've been burned out on reading for weeks now, and I'm glad to say that I finally started (and finished) an advanced reader copy. The book is "Shuck" by Daniel Allen Cox. It's essentially the "diary" of Jaeven Marshall, a 20 year old male prostitute living and partying in New York City. He comes to live with, and inspire, an artist that is having trouble finding his inspiration. In the meantime, Jaeven spends his time trying to submit his short fiction to literary magazines and publishing houses, all the while turning tricks to support his increasing crystal meth addiction.

On the whole, it was easy to read, but I think it lacked the literary quality that I would normally enjoy. I wasn't too enthralled with the numerous accounts of what could be done with foreskin (such as using it to hold a pen and signing autographs). Furthermore, the plot was too simple, and didn't come to a conclusion at the end of it all. If I were to give it a grade, it would get a D+.

No comments:

Post a Comment