Thursday, April 30, 2009

Re: Miss California's Response

As you may or may not know, the MISS USA® pageant was held on April 19th in Las Vegas, Nevada. During a round of questioning from randomly selected judges, Miss California Carrie Prejean was asked by celebrity gossip star Perez Hilton whether or not the states (in America) should legalize same-sex marriage. Her response:
"Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage, and, you know what, in my country and in my family I think I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and woman. Thank you."
First off, I applaud her for stating her actual beliefs under pressure. I do not think people should be coerced to believe in something that you believe. She could have just as easily said she supports it, and not been true to herself; but she didn't, and she can feel good about that. She was righteous at that moment. Now, do I agree with her? Absolutely not, but I am not going to go around wasting my time bitching and moaning about how Miss California used her chance on stage during the MISS USA® pageant to promote bigotry. She didn't. She was asked a question, she answered it. Get over it. Furthermore, Perez Hilton is a douche bag.

The problem I have is with people, like herself, that do not give any substantial explanation as to why same-sex marriage should not be legal, other than "that's how I was raised". It becomes an even bigger problem for me (and others alike) when anti-same-sex marriage advocates use fear and misinformation to obtain their own ends. I cannot believe that we are still arguing about this non-issue. Church and State are separate under the United States Constitution.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
Prohibiting same-sex marriage, through legal means, is (quite obviously) respecting an establishment of religion(s). Can we make it any simpler?

And here is the new ad, released today, by the National Organization for Marriage:



Thanks for the heads up Slog.

1 comment:

  1. Do you not feel like as a representative of a state, she should represent the whole population and not just 52% of it? I feel like that is the whole point of those pageants. Of course she is entitled to her beliefs, but is the Miss USA pageant really known for spreading personal beliefs?

    She just should have said she loves everybody and wants world peace like every other cookie cutter answer.

    ReplyDelete