Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Book Review

I really need to stop reading FSG's twitter feed. Every time I do, I come across another book that I just have to read (and eventually own). Although, after finishing Stephen Amidon's "Security", I told myself that I really did not need to add it to my collection. It's a story of a quiet little town in Massachusetts, where crime is virtually non-existent. Except when, of course, a local female student is found with a broken arm and is claiming that the rich recluse in town attempted to rape her. The only problem is that her father is the town drunk, and has a documented history of criminal activity. It takes the courage and devotion of one man, Edward--who also happens to be the town's sole security proprietor--,to get the truth out of the people who know what actually happened.

I found the character and scene developments to be intricate at first read, but after delving into the plot, they seemed rather drawn out. It took roughly 161 pages of the 276 page book to introduce all the characters and their intertwined relationships. Eccentrics, divorced women with children, insomniacs, troubled students, and lecherous college professors--those are just some of the characters filling out this decent, but not great, story. It had a good storyline, and a mysterious plot to keep you interested, but the ending was a little over-the-top for my liking.

Book cover from Macmillan.

No comments:

Post a Comment