Friday, February 20, 2009

The One True Love In My Life (Well, It Was)

From September 2000 until October 2004 my most prized possession was my 1986 Toyota Tercel 5-door hatchback. After turning 16 years old, my grandfather (I miss you) purchased me this beauty to help out his grandson. For four long years, this car was my life.

I did stupid things in it. I nearly died in it after falling asleep at the wheel while driving home on the freeway. [You can see the damage on the front-right fender; that was me hitting side brush]. I had the back window broken with a baseball bat. Thank you roving gang of high school punks. I had a CB radio installed. See the antenna on the roof? I think my friends and I were able to contact maybe one or two people in four years worth of random bantering on the airwaves. My friend thought it would be a good idea to kick out the right-side tail light...as a joke. Ha...ha.

If it were not for this car, my life may have turned out differently. I'm not sure how I would have made it to school and work everyday. I lived in Kent and went to school in Burien (13 miles between the two). After I moved to Seattle for college, I no longer needed the car. I parked it behind my grandparents' apartment building in case I needed it for something; I never did. So it goes that I had it marked for pickup and removal, and I hope it enjoyed its time with me as much as I did with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment