Sunday, December 14, 2008

New Bloc Party Album

Not having internet for, months now, has put me on a backtrack in terms of new things that come out. Books, CDs, Movies: they are all "new" to me when I hear about them. One of my more recent discoveries has been the release of Bloc Party's new album, Intimacy.

I rather enjoy the album cover. But that is neither here nor there.

I've since downloaded three songs from iTunes off the album: "Signs", "Biko", and "Flux". I haven't given the rest of the album much of a listen because I was too flustered with "Signs". If you like Sigur Ros, you will enjoy "Signs". The song carries with it, throughout, the melodic chiming that soothes (at least) my soul. It can drive me to tears of joy and despair. There are whole philosophies based around music, so I need not get too involved in explaining it here, but certain elements of music build upon preconditions. That is to say that this song can remind me of another song that may remind me of an event or a person. All music, for me, is tied to some foundational support. Whenever I hear "Flux" I am always reminded a particular individual. That is the case for many songs and bands that I listen to at any given time. Music is very much biographical, but its power can be transformed into many autobiographies. (What was for the artist(s) may or may not be what is for those of us who listen).

Most of what I have just said is me "shooting from the hip". Thoughts tend to flow when they are allowed to do so in a particular fashion.

Here is the (supposed) "official video" of their song, "Flux":



And because I love Sigur Ros, here is the video for their song, Glosoli:

No comments:

Post a Comment