Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Closing California's $26.3 Million Budget Deficit

Rather than making huge budget cuts, the state should have taken this into consideration. It's an analysis-report from the Williams Institute (published June 2008) claiming that "extending marriage to same-sex couples will boost California state and local government revenues by over $63.8 million...over the next three years." Granted, the California Supreme Court has ruled Proposition 8 constitutional [q.v. Strauss v. Horton; Tyler v. State of California; City and County of San Francisco v. Horton], and thus the state government does not have the authority to simply start issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

I suppose those Californians that voted "Yes" on Prop 8 are feeling quite righteous at this moment. They would rather have less funding for public education (q.v. "The Governor's July 1 Proposals")--thereby making our children dumber--than see two men or two women, who love each other, happily married.

Once again, this is merely me trying to prove to the world that I'm smart. I'm not sure if it's working. Does anyone actually read this dribble of mine?

1 comment:

  1. I read your dribble. I like your dribble. It certainly makes me feel smarter after i've read it!

    ReplyDelete