Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm Attending SIFF, Are You?

Last year's SIFF had me viewing a gay Filipino romance film. My review of that is here. This year promises to be just as good. Granted, there aren't any gay Filipino romances being presented--I can't help what I like--but I'm just as pleased, if not more so, with the three five six films that I've chosen to go see.*

"Do Começo ao Fim" ("From Beginning to End") by Brazilian director, Aluisio Abranches.
A controversial film about a homosexual and incestuous relationship between two half-brothers.
Tickets and information here. [Wednesday, May 26, 9:30 p.m., Egyptian Theater]

"Broderskab" ("Brotherhood") by Danish director, Nicolo Donato.
A film about two men in a neo-nazi group that develop a relationship forbidden by the very ideology they enforce through violence.
Tickets and information here. [Friday, June 4, 9:30 p.m., Uptown Theater]

"8: The Mormon Proposition" by American director, Steven Greenstreet.
Quite obviously, a film about the Mormon Church's role behind the Proposition 8--to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage--campaign in California during the 2008 elections.
Tickets and information here. [Monday, June 7, 7:00 p.m., Egyptian Theater]

"El Baile de la Victoria" ("The Dancer and the Thief") by Spanish director, Fernando Trueba.
A political thriller and romance about a safe-cracker that wants to get his life back on track after being released from prison. The story is set during the period after the fall of the repressive Pinochet regime in Chile.
Tickets and information here. [Wednesday, June 9, 9:15 p.m., Neptune Theater]

"Cargo" by Swiss director, Ivan Engler.
I saw the trailer for this and just couldn't help myself; I had to buy a ticket to a screening. It's a thriller that takes place on board a transport ship in space.
Tickets and information here. [Friday, June 11, 9:15 p.m., Egyptian Theater]

"Howl" by American directors, Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman.
A biopic about Allen Ginsberg--James Franco plays the lead role--and the controversy surrounding his poem, Howl.
Tickets and information here. [Saturday, June 12, 7:00 p.m., Egyptian Theater]

Reviews will follow after each performance. Stay tuned.

*There may be other screening times for certain films. I've listed the screenings that I am personally attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment